Thursday, June 4, 2009

To The Brands We Love



One of the main reasons I want to pursue a career in Consumer Marketing is that I am very intrigued by what draws us to one brand over another. It's usually beyond the quality of the product. For me it's always emotional or evokes some sort of memory.

Peanut Butter for example. Peanut Butter is pretty much Peanut Butter. I know I know some are all natural, some are sweeter than others, but for the most part PB is PB. If you were to order one in a restaurant (I don't know why you would, but if you did) you probably wouldn't ask, "Excuse me, sir. What kind of Peanut Butter do you use? Ohh Skippy? Nevermind I'll have a salad". Although knowing my friends maybe you would haha. I'm just going to get to the point....

There are certain things that have very little differences across brands. So why do we favor one brand over the other? Back to the PB, I buy what we had as kids. My dad worked at Proctor & Gamble so our PB of choice was Jiff. I remember my mom would draw a heart in the PB whenever she'd make a sandwich. So to this day I will still only buy Jiff.

In fact I can do this same sort of emotional reasoning for almost every brand name that I am loyal to. I will spare you the enormous list...your welcome. But I will tell you what prompted today's blog. It was the song "T-Shirt" by Shontelle.

The song is about a girl missing a boy and she gets all dressed up to go out but she misses him so much she stays home and curls up in a Hanes T. Could have been any cotton T, but it wasn't it was a Hanes T, because Hanes is known for comfort and it reminds her of the lost love. See I am not making it up we all do this!! Right? I know you do :)

So listen to the song on YouTube, and next time you are buying one brand over another try to figure out why.

Oh and if you want curl up with something Hanes you can go to http://www.rebel-one.com/shontelle_hanes/index3.html to buy a Shontelle Hanes Tee.

So to the brands we love! Cheers!

1 comment:

  1. This is an awesome post by the way. I think the same thing. Whenever I think of KFC it's eating at my grandma and grandpa's kitchen table. Brings back memories :)

    ReplyDelete

!-- Site Meter XHTML Strict 1.0 -->